So for this weekend project i’m going to modify tweetnest to cache a hashtag rather than a user timeline, if you think about it caching a hashtag is much more valuable, if only i knew that prior to jan25 i’d have had an invaluable cache of tweets, unfortunately, I didnt anyway its never too late to do so, and the egyptian revolution is still going on, so i’m starting now, its just as good time as any.
First of all i’m going to add here something i didn’t mention in my earlier post about installing tweetnest, installing it had a single tricky part, the url rewrite wasn’t working, solving it was done through adding an entry in the
Alias /badmrc/ "/var/www/tweetnest/" <Directory "/var/www/tweetnest/"> Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks AllowOverride All Order deny,allow Allow from all </Directory>
This entry solved it.
Back to the topic, how to convert tweetnest from harvesting a user’s timeline to harvesting tweets based on a query, The simplest approach would be by modifying the following php file, which placed in the cron file, runs every hour
The other alternative would be using a small java class, which exactly what i’m doing